Psoriasis is an inflammatory skin condition that affects millions of people around the world. Recently, there has been an increasing interest in the potential benefits of CBD oil for psoriasis sufferers, with many touting it as a natural solution to managing their symptoms. In this article, we'll take a look at what the research says about CBD and psoriasis, its potential benefits and drawbacks, and which products are best suited for treating psoriasis.
In particular, we'll look at:
Disclosure: Our website is supported by our users. We may receive a commission if you click through and make a purchase using one of our links. Read the full affiliate disclosure here.
What is Psoriasis?
In simple terms, Psoriasis is a skin condition that causes itchy patches, rashes or flakes, often on the scalp, elbows and knees. Psoriasis is a common, long-term (chronic) disease with no cure. It can be painful, interfere with sleep and make it hard to concentrate. 1What is Psoriasis: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/psoriasis/symptoms-causes/syc-20355840#:~:text=Psoriasis%20is%20a%20skin%20disease,make%20it%20hard%20to%20concentrate..
Symptoms often include:
- Dry skin patches that can bleed.
- Rashes can vary from person to person, ranging from spots, and dandruff-like scaling to patches.
- Itching, burning sensations.
- Rash flare-ups can last for weeks or months.
Psoriasis is a chronic inflammatory skin condition that causes red, scaly patches to form on the skin. It affects around 2-3% of people in the US, and is more common in women than men. There is no cure for psoriasis, but there are treatments that can help relieve symptoms and keep it under control.
The exact cause of psoriasis is unknown, but it is thought to be due to a combination of genetic and environmental factors. Psoriasis can run in families, so it's believed that genes play a role in its development. However, not everyone with the genes will develop the condition. This suggests that other factors (such as certain infections or environmental triggers) are also needed for psoriasis to develop.
Introduction to CBD Oil for Psoriasis
Psoriasis is a chronic skin condition that causes red, scaly patches to form on the skin. Psoriasis is thought to be caused by an overactive immune system. CBD oil may be able to help treat psoriasis by reducing inflammation and helping to regulate the immune system.
A small study published in the Journal of Dermatological Science found that CBD oil was effective in reducing the symptoms of psoriasis. The study participants who used CBD oil had significantly less redness, scaling, and thickness of their skin patches. They also had less itching and burning than those who did not use CBD oil.
larger, more long-term studies are needed to confirm these findings. However, the results of this small study suggest that CBD oil may be a safe and effective treatment for psoriasis.
What is CBD Oil?
CBD oil is a natural, plant-based product that has been shown to be effective in treating psoriasis. CBD oil is made from the cannabinoid cannabidiol, which is found in cannabis plants. CBD oil does not contain THC, the psychoactive component of cannabis, so it does not produce a high. CBD oil has anti-inflammatory and anti- itch properties, which can be helpful for people with psoriasis. Anecdotal evidence suggests that CBD oil may also help to reduce the redness and scaling associated with psoriasis.
Cannabidiol (CBD) oil is a natural, non-psychoactive compound found in cannabis plants. CBD oil has been shown to have therapeutic benefits for a variety of health conditions, including pain relief, anxiety, and inflammatory skin conditions like psoriasis.
While CBD oil does not produce the same psychoactive effects as THC (the compound in cannabis that gets you “high”), it does have some potential side effects, which is why it's important to talk to your doctor before using it.
CBD isolate: Pure CBD that contains no THC
Broad-spectrum CBD: contains most cannabinoids, but it is typically free of THC
Full-spectrum CBD: contains all the plant’s cannabinoids, including THC
CBD oil is thought to interact with the body's endocannabinoid system, which regulates various functions like sleep, appetite, and pain. When taken regularly, CBD oil may help to reduce the severity and frequency of psoriasis flare-ups. It can be used topically or taken orally.
If you're considering using CBD oil for psoriasis, there are a few things you should keep in mind. First, while CBD oil is generally considered safe, it can interact with other medications you may be taking for your condition. Be sure to talk to your doctor before using CBD oil if you're taking any other medications.
Second, because CBD oil comes from cannabis plants, it may contain trace amounts of THC. While these amounts are generally too low to cause any psychoactive effects, they could show up on drug tests. If you're subject to regular drug testing at work or school (for example), you'll want to make
How Can CBD Oil Help with Psoriasis
CBD oil has been shown to be effective in reducing the symptoms of psoriasis, including inflammation, redness, and itchiness. In one study, CBD oil was even found to be more effective than a commonly used topical medication for psoriasis.
CBD oil works by interacting with the body's endocannabinoid system, which is responsible for regulating skin cell growth. By inhibiting the overproduction of skin cells, CBD oil can help to reduce the symptoms of psoriasis.
If you're considering using CBD oil for your psoriasis, it's important to talk to your doctor first. CBD oil is generally well-tolerated, but it can interact with certain medications. It's also important to purchase CBD oil from a reputable source, as quality can vary greatly.
Pros and Cons of Using CBD Oil For Psoriasis
Scientific Research on CBD Oil and Psoriasis
CBD oil is gaining popularity as a treatment for psoriasis. But what does the science say? Is it effective, and are there any side effects to be aware of?
A number of studies have been conducted on CBD oil and psoriasis. Overall, the evidence suggests that CBD oil may be helpful in reducing inflammation and relieving symptoms of psoriasis. However, more research is needed to confirm these findings.
What is the Best CBD Oil For Psoriasis?
CBD oil is a popular treatment for psoriasis, but there is no definitive answer as to whether or not it is the best option. CBD oil may offer some benefits, but it also has potential drawbacks. It is important to weigh the pros and cons before deciding if CBD oil is right for you.
The potential benefits of CBD oil for psoriasis include:
- Reducing inflammation: CBD oil has anti-inflammatory properties that may help to reduce the swelling and redness associated with psoriasis.
- relieving itchiness: Psoriasis can be extremely itchy, but CBD oil may help to relieve this symptom.
- Preventing flares: Some people who use CBD oil find that it helps to prevent psoriasis flares.
Alternatives to Using CBD Oil For Psoriasis
CBD oil is not the only natural treatment option for psoriasis. There are a number of other effective alternatives that can be used to manage this condition.
- Herbal remedies: Herbs such as turmeric, neem, and aloe vera have all been shown to be effective in treating psoriasis. These herbs can be taken internally or applied topically to the affected area.
- Dietary changes: A healthy diet is important for overall skin health, and there are specific foods that can help reduce inflammation and improve psoriasis symptoms. These include omega-3 fatty acids, probiotics, and vitamin D-rich foods.
- Topical treatments: There are a number of topical treatments that can be effective for psoriasis, including corticosteroids, coal tar, retinoids, and calcineurin inhibitors.
CBD Oil for Psoriasis: The Bottom Line
In conclusion, CBD oil for psoriasis is an increasingly popular treatment option due to its potential for providing relief from the symptoms of this skin condition. While there is still much research to be done on the efficacy of CBD oil as a psoriasis remedy, the current evidence appears promising. As with any new medical treatment, it's important to discuss your options and understand all the pros and cons before deciding if using CBD oil for psoriasis is right for you.
Sources and References
- 1What is Psoriasis: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/psoriasis/symptoms-causes/syc-20355840#:~:text=Psoriasis%20is%20a%20skin%20disease,make%20it%20hard%20to%20concentrate..
- 2research paper: Psoriasis Prevalence in Adults in the United States https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8246333/#:~:text=Based%20on%20the%20prevalence%20of,many%20adults%20in%20the%20US.
- 3Research paper: Cannabinoids inhibit human keratinocyte proliferation through a non-CB1/CB2 mechanism and have a potential therapeutic value in the treatment of psoriasis https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17157480/
- 4Research paper: Cannabinoids in the Pathophysiology of Skin Inflammation https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32033005/