Growing cannabis outdoors is one of the oldest and most natural ways to harvest this plant. With the right strains and conditions, you can enjoy a bountiful harvest of high-quality cannabis buds. In this article, we’ll explore 5 of the best strains for outdoor growing, so you can get started on your own outdoor cultivation journey!
In particular, we'll look at:
Disclosure: Our website is supported by our users. We may receive a commission if you click through and make a purchase using one of our links. Read the full affiliate disclosure here.
Why Grow Cannabis Seeds?
Before we dig into the best strains to grow, let's take a step back to understand why you want to do in the first place.
There are many reasons to grow your own cannabis seeds.
For one, it is a great way to save money. Seeds are much cheaper than buying pre-packaged buds at the dispensary.
Second, you can control the quality of the product when you grow your own. You know exactly what went into growing the plant, so you can be sure that there are no pesticides or other harmful chemicals.
Third, it is simply more fun to grow your own! You get to see the plant grow from a tiny seedling into a big, beautiful plant. Plus, you get to experience the satisfaction of knowing that you grew it yourself!
Introduction to Growing Cannabis Outdoors
Growing cannabis outdoors can be a great way to get started in the world of cultivation. Cannabis is a relatively easy plant to grow, and outdoor strains are typically hardy and forgiving of mistakes. However, not all cannabis strains are suitable for outdoor growing. Some strains require special care or specific conditions to thrive.
When choosing an outdoor cannabis strain, consider your climate and the amount of space you have available. Select a strain that is known to do well in your area and that will fit comfortably in the space you have. Also, keep in mind that some strains take longer to mature than others. Make sure you pick a variety that will be ready to harvest within the timeframe you are willing to wait.
Here are some of the best outdoor cannabis strains for beginners:
- Early Girl: An early-maturing strain, Early Girl is a good choice for growers in cooler climates with shorter growing seasons. This indica-dominant hybrid produces dense, resinous buds with a sweet and earthy flavor profile.
- Ace of Spades: Ace of Spades is an indica-dominant hybrid that's perfect for novice growers in warm climates. It's a high-yielding strain that produces large, sticky buds with a sweet and pungent aroma.
- Northern Lights: One of the most popular strains among beginner growers, Northern Lights is an easy-to-grow indica with short internodes and dense foliage. It's known for its heavy yields
What You Need to Know About Outdoor Cannabis Growing
If you're thinking about growing cannabis outdoors, there are a few things you need to know first. Here are the best strains to get you started:
- Cannabis needs a lot of sun. If you live in an area with long summer days and plenty of sunshine, outdoor cannabis growing is a great option for you. Just make sure your plants have access to at least six hours of direct sunlight each day.
- Cannabis also needs fresh air. Make sure your plants have plenty of ventilation and avoid crowded spaces where they might not get enough air circulation.
- Outdoor cannabis strains can be more susceptible to pests and diseases than indoor strains, so it's important to choose varieties that are known for their resilience. Some good options include Afghan Kush, Northern Lights, and Chemdawg.
- When it comes to watering, less is more when growing cannabis outdoors. Allow the soil to dry out completely between waterings to prevent root rot and other problems.
- Finally, remember that outdoor cannabis plants can grow quite large – up to 10 feet tall in some cases! Be prepared to provide them with plenty of space to spread out as they mature.
The 5 Best Strains for Growing Cannabis Outdoors
Northern Light True North (Worldwide Shipping)
* THC 18-22%
* Couch lock, Physical, Sedative
* Flowering time: 6-7 weeks
* Yield: Up to 500g/m²
Granddaddy Purple Autoflower ILGM (US SHIPPING Only)
*THC up to 23%
*Great for beginners
*Deep relaxation with calming buzz
*Plant size is compact
*Vegetative stage: 3-4 weeks
*Flowering time: 7-10 weeks
*Yields: 5 to 15 oz per plant
AK-48 Autoflower Nirvana Seeds (Worldwide Shipping)
* THC 14-16%
* Euphoric, Relaxed, Happy
* Average height
* Yield: 300 – 400 g/m² in SOG
* Seed to harvest: 11-13 weeks
OG Kush sensi seeds (EU & UK shipping only)
* Euphoric effect
* XXL yield
* Sunny climate with long summer
* Flowering: 55 days
* Yield outdoor: 1100 g per plant
Tips for Maximizing Yield and Quality
- Make sure you choose a high-quality strain. Not all cannabis strains are created equal, and some are better suited for outdoor growing than others. Do your research to make sure you're choosing a strain that will thrive in your climate and produce the results you're looking for.
- Start with healthy plants. The healthier your plants are to begin with, the better they'll do throughout the growing process. Make sure to purchase from a reputable source and check that the plants are free of pests and diseases before getting started.
- Get your timing right. Timing is everything when it comes to outdoor cannabis cultivation. Make sure you know when your area's last frost date is so you can plant accordingly. You'll also want to keep an eye on the weather forecast throughout the season to make sure you're not caught off guard by any unexpected weather changes.
- Give your plants plenty of space. Outdoor cannabis plants can grow quite large, so make sure you give them enough room to spread out. If they're too crowded, they won't be able to reach their full potential and yield may suffer as a result.
- Provide adequate shelter from the elements. Cannabis plants are tough, but they can still be damaged by extreme weather conditions like high winds or heavy rains. If possible, provide some kind of shelter for your plants to protect them from the worst of the elements.
Conclusion: Is Outdoor Cannabis Growing Right For You?
If you’re thinking about growing cannabis outdoors, there are a few things you need to take into account before making your decision. The first thing you need to think about is whether or not your climate is suitable for growing cannabis. If you live in an area with a lot of sunlight and warm weather, then growing cannabis outdoors is probably a good idea. However, if you live in an area with harsh winters or little sunlight, then growing cannabis outdoors might not be the best option for you.
Another thing to consider before growing cannabis outdoors is the amount of space you have available. If you have a large backyard or piece of land that you can dedicate to growing cannabis, then outdoor cultivation is definitely an option for you. However, if you live in an urban area with limited space, then indoor cultivation might be a better option.
Finally, it’s important to consider the security of your outdoor grow operation. If you live in an area where theft is a concern, then it’s important to take steps to secure your plants and equipment. Growing cannabis outdoors can be a great way to produce high-quality bud, but it’s important to make sure that you do it safely and securely.